Gary A. Robbins
Professor of Geology
|Ph.D., 1983||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX||Department of Geology|
|M.S., 1972||Brown University, Providence, RI||Department of Geology|
|B.S., 1970||Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY||Department of Geology|
|2004 – Present||Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, Faculty Member Center for Integrative Geosciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT||Professor|
|1986 – 2004||Department of Geology & Geophysics, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT||Associate Professor to Professor|
|1984 – 1986||Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Santa Ana, CA||Senior Project Hydrogeologist|
|1983 – 1984||Department of Geology, Texas A & M, College Station, TX||Assistant Professor|
|1980 – 1983||Department of Geology, Texas A & M, College Station, TX||Lecturer|
|1975 – 1980||U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, D. C.||Geologist Intern to Project Geologist (GS-14)|
|1971 – 1974||Brown University, Providence, RI||Research Assistant|
- Apparatus and Method for Measuring Volatile Constituents in Earth Samples, U.S. Patent No. 5,050,425, date 9/24/91, U.S. Patent No. 5,140,845, date 8/25/9
- Certified Professional Geologist, American Institute of Professional Geologists (CPG-06715)
- Registered Geologist & Certified Engineering Geologist, State of California
- Member, Geological Society of America (Rep. of Hydrogeology Div. to NE Section, 1988-1991)
- Member, Association of Engineering Geologists (Groundwater Committee Chairman 1983-85)
- Member, National Ground Water Association (Past Associate Editor, Ground Water; 2013-2014 Awards Comm. Chair
- Member, American Geophysical Union
- Member, International Association of Hydrogeologists(Associate Editor of US Chapter newsletter)
- Member, Connecticut Environmental Professional Organization (Educational Committee 2008 – present)
- Member, Geological Society of Connecticut
- Member International Water Resources Association
Honors and Distinctions
- 2016 – 2017 UCONN Innovative Teaching Professor
- 2015 Coordinated development of Memorandum of Agreement between U. Connecticut and National Research Council of Italy
- 2014 Roman Aqueduct Art and Engineering Exhibit, U. Connecticut
- 2014 Keynote Speaker at annual Connecticut Environmental Professional Organization meeting
- 2013 Chair, Connecticut Conference on Natural Resources
- 2012 Semester Abroad Instructor at the Institute at Palazzo Rucellai, Florence, Italy
- 2012 Recipient of the Contribution to Practice Award, Licensed Site Professionals Association (of Massachusetts)
- 2012 Co-Chair, Connecticut Conference on Natural Resources
- 2011, Dept of NRE delegation to China for Sino/US workshops on soil and water research
- 2005, 2007, 2012 Recipient of a U. Connecticut, Environmental Policy Advisory Council, Environmental Leadership Certificate of Appreciation
- 2001 Recipient of the U. Connecticut, Chancellor’s Information Technology Award
- Board of Trustees of the Manchester, Connecticut Library (1998-2002)
- Founding President, Manchester Community Television, Inc. (1999- 2000)
- Member of the Cox Cable Advisory Council (1998-2000)
- Connecticut Ground Water Association (Founding Board Director, 1989-1993)
- Past Member of Executive Committee of U. Connecticut Water Resources Institute
- Past Member of Executive Committee of U. Connecticut Environmental Research Institute
- Mobil Foundation, Inc.1995 and 1996 award recipient
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission High Quality Performance Award
- Member, Sigma Gamma Epsilon Honorary Earth Science Society, Texas A&M University
- Awarded W.G. Mills Fellowship in hydrology, Texas A&M University
Selected Current or Recent Grants
|Water Supply Capacity Credits within a Hydrologic Basin: Sustaining Ecosystem Services and
Revenues from Undeveloped Forests and Farms (CO-PI) 2015 -2017
|MOA with Dept. of Public Health for Intern Training (2016-2018)||
|Direct Push Methods for Groundwater Sampling, Field Training (2014)||
|Direct Push Methods for Groundwater Sampling, Field Training (2014)||
Research and Recent Publications
Specializing in the study of the fate and transport of ground water contamination and ground water supply sustainability. Current projects:Using GIS based analyses in evaluating spatial and temporal trends in bedrock well hydraulic characteristics and water quality; Evaluating the occurrence and sources of high levels of arsenic in bedrock drinking water wells in Connecticut; Evaluating impact of permeable pavement drainage on groundwater quality; Application of a new method of DO alteration for assessing groundwater flow in fractured crystalline bedrock and karstic limestone; Evaluating source water conditions of the ancient Roman aqueducts in Rome.
- Metcalf, M. J., Stevens, G.J and Robbins, G.A., 2016, Application of First Order Kinetics to Characterize MTBE Natural Attenuation in Groundwater, J. Contaminant Hydrology, V. 187, p. 47-54.
- Vitale, S. and Robbins, G.A., 2016, Characterizing Groundwater Flow in Monitoring Wells by Altering Dissolved Oxygen, Groundwater Monitoring and Remediation, Volume 36, Issue 2, Spring 2016, p. 59-67.
- Dietz, M., Angel, D., and Robbins, G.A., 2016, Permeable Asphalt: A New Tool to Reduce Road Salt Contamination of Groundwater in Urban Areas, Groundwater, online 30 AUG 2016, DOI: 10.1111/gwat.12454
- Metcalf, M. and Robbins, G., 2014, Using Domestic Well Records to Determine Fractured Bedrock Watersheds and Recharge Rates, Groundwater, V. 52, no. 5, p. 782-788.
- Metcalf, M. J. and Robbins, G.A., 2014, Evaluating Groundwater Sustainability for Fractured Crystalline Bedrock. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, (early pub available online at doi:10.2166/ws.2013/179)
- Libby, J., and Robbins, G.A., 2014 An Unsteady State Tracer Method for Characterizing Fractures in Bedrock Well, Groundwater, v. 52, no. 1, p. 136-144.
- Starn, J.J., Bagtzoglou, A.C., and Robbins, G.A., 2013, Uncertainty in simulated groundwater quality trends in transient flow: Hydrogeology Journal, in press and published online.
- Cassanelli, J., and Robbins, G.A., 2013, Road Salt Impact to Connecticut’s Groundwater: A Statewide Centennial Perspective, Journal of Environmental Quality, v. 42, p.737-748.
- Metcalf, M.J. and Robbins, G.A., 2013, Natural Buffering of Contaminants Related to Development in Fractured Rock. Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation, v. 33, no. 4: 89-99.
- Metcalf, M. J. and Robbins, G.A., 2013, Domestic Well Database Development and Integration into a GIS: An Approach for Managing Ground Water Resources. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, v.13.5,
- Libby, J., and Robbins, G.A., 2013 An Unsteady State Tracer Method for Characterizing Fractures in Bedrock Well, Groundwater, in press and published online (doi 10.1111/gwat.12045)
- Chlebica, D., and Robbins, G.A., 2013, Altering Dissolved Oxygen to Determine Flow Conditions in Fractured Bedrock Wells, Ground Water Monitoring and Remediation, v. 33, no. 4, p. 100-107.
- Starn, J.J, Bagtzoglou, A., and Robbins, G.A., 2012, Methods For Simulating Solute Breakthrough Curves in Pumping Groundwater Wells, Computers & Geosciences 48: 244-255.
- Chlebica, D.W., Robbins, G.A., Spera, H., Bagtzoglou, A.C., 2012, Resolving Fractured Bedrock Aquifer Flow and Sustainability Issues Using an Equivalent Porous Media Model, International Conference on Groundwater in Fractured Rocks, Poster Session, Prague, Czech Republic, May 23 and 24..
- Metcalf, M.J., Robbins, G.: Deciphering Groundwater Trends in the Fractured Bedrock Using GIS for Resource Management and Planning, International Conference on Groundwater in Fractured Rocks, Poster Session, Prague, Czech Republic, May 21 and 22.
- Libby, J., Robbins, G., 2012, Characterization of Water Contributing Fractures Intersecting a Well in Crystalline Bedrock Through Monitoring Changes In a Tracer Profile during Slug Test Recovery, International Conference on Groundwater in Fractured Rocks, Prague, Czech Republic, May 23.
- Starn, J.J, Bagtzoglou, A., and Robbins, G.A., 2012, Methods For Simulating Solute Breakthrough Curves in Pumping Groundwater Wells, Computer and Geosciences, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2011.03.031
- Starn, J.J, and Robbins, G.A., 2012, Complex flow paths in simulations of bedrock recharge in Connecticut, Geol. Soc. of Amer., Northeastern Section Meet., abstracts with programs, March 18 , Hartford, CT.
- Libby, J. and Robbins, G.A.,.2012, Verifying an Unsteady State Tracer Dilution Method in Fractured Bedrock
- Wells Using Physical and Computer Models, Geol. Soc. of Amer., Northeastern Section Meet., abstracts with programs, March 18 , Hartford, CT.
- Chlebica, D.W. and Robbins, G.A., 2012, Deciphering Fractured Crystalline Bedrock Ground Water Recharge: Data Input, Constraints and Modeling Needs, Geol. Soc. of Amer., Northeastern Section Meet., abstracts with programs, Poster Session, March 18 , Hartford, CT.
- Kahn-Bureau, D., Lewis, L., and G.A. Robbins, 2011, Testing DNA Barcoding Methods of Diatoms in an
- Environmental Sample, Northeast Algal Society, 50th Anniversary Symposium, Poster Session, Woods Hole, MA, April, 15-17,.
- Robbins, G.A., Aragon-Jose, A., 2011, Circumventing Sand Pack Drainage Complication in Determining Hydraulic Conductivity from Monitoring Wells with Partially Submerged Screens, North American Environmental Field Conference & Exposition, San Diego, CA, January 14.
- Aragon-Jose, A.T., and Robbins, G.A.,, 2011, Low-Flow Hydraulic Conductivity Tests at Wells that Cross the Water Table, Ground Water, V. 49, No. 2, p. 426–43
|Mailing Address||University of Connecticut U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road Storrs, CT 06269-4087|